Top 5 Reasons to Renovate
We all have different reasons as to why we would renovate our homes. The important thing to realize is why you are doing it, and that your decision is right for you. Here are 5 of the main reasons why our customers renovate their homes;
- They simply want something better – as we go through our lives our tastes and attitudes change. The kitchen or bathroom that was perfect when you were just starting out lacks some of the new renovation options that are available today. Wanting some of the comforts to make our lives a little bit easier or more enjoyable becomes important to us. Some of the many new features are heated floors, heated towel bars, rain head showers with a hand held option, stone or hard surface counter tops, built in appliances, soft close doors and drawers – the list goes on and on. When you are ready to renovate your home there is no shame in wanting to induldge in the finer things that life can offer.
- Family is changing – Over time our families can grow and as a result we need more usable space. Finishing the basement so that the kids have a place to hang out with their friends or creating a space for your relatives to live. An extra bathroom or bedroom is great for guests and gives them some privacy while visiting.
- Selling your home – our homes are often are biggest investment in our lives and keeping it up to date and current will drive a bigger sale price when you are ready to sell. Buyers will often want discounts when your home is out of date or when it is in need of repair. Companies make profits on “flipping houses”, don’t let your house become someone else’s flip. Key areas to update – kitchens, bathrooms, flooring and paint.
- Income Suite – looking to make a little extra money every month and help pay down that mortgage? Check your local by-laws about the possibility of creating a basement income suite. Our customers have often been able to get financing to finish the renovation. Once the suite is rented they have been able to pay for the financing as well as put some money towards their mortgage every month.
- The house is showing its age and needs some TLC – houses need maintenance, they won’t last forever if we don’t look after them. Over time many of your homes features will deteriorate. Some of the more common areas are;
- windows and doors – replacing your windows can improve your homes look as well as reduce your energy costs.
- Gutters and downspouts – its so important to keep the water away from your foundation. Next time it rains check to ensure your gutters and downspouts are free of debris and that the water is flowing well. Extend the downspouts to at least 4′ away from your foundation.
- caulking – caulking only last a few years. You should be removing the existing caulking from your tubs and showers and re-caulking them every 3-5 years. This will keep the water from penetrating the wall surfaces and causing rot and mold.
- tile and grout – over the years tiles can crack and grout can become dislodged from in between the tiles. Its important to inspect your washroom and replace any broken tiles and re-grout any areas where the grout is missing.
- exterior vent covers – most exterior vent covers are vinyl (plastic) and dry out over time. When they dry out they crack and fall apart. This can allow birds to make nests inside the vent pipes or allow water to penetrate your exterior building envelope. If they are in disrepair take the time to change them.
What ever the reason you are renovating for, be sure to take the time to plan, and create a budget that works for you. Doing your research is the most important step of any renovation project.